09 January 2014

@ the library

Just a few quips and things I've noticed today at my library.
  • Someone came in wanting BCD (books on CD) about Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard. He thinks it's a joke and dumb, but still wants to know more about it. Which I can respect. He also wanted BCD about art and artists. He then hands me 2 business cards of his. Turns out he is a director and trainer of CPR, he has first aid and lifeguard certification, he is an aquatic personal trainer AND he owns a contemporary art gallery in the city. He deals, trades, curates, and collects all sorts of art. How cool is that? And I am the one who takes care of him at the reference desk. Check out his stuff!
  • Read in American Libraries the magazine that the puppeteer Toby Philpott, one of the men who puppeted Jabba the Hutt in Return of the Jedi now works as a librarian in Wales teaching computer courses. AWESOME.
  • Also read in American Libraries that the first paperless library opened in Texas. It has over 10,000 downloadable titles, along with 600 e-readers one can borrow. There are also computer stations, digital literacy classes, and a coffee shop. I love this concept of a library. It breaks the mold, but I do think this is the way libraries are heading. I do not think more traditional libraries will completely disappear, but I do think more of these paperless libraries will be popping up around the country. It's a great service! 
#librarynerd

No comments:

Post a Comment