13 January 2014

Some people...

I'm happy I'm not sensitive about my nose scar. I like it, I embrace it, and honestly, I don't think I look like myself when people put make-up on it or edit it in photoshop. I hate my face without my nose scar. It's been there for 13 years this spring. It's part of me.

I wouldn't say I enjoy making people feel like assholes when they bring it up, but it's certainly getting easier to do. Twice within the last 3 hours random strangers have come up to the reference desk and asked, "Were you wearing glasses? Or is it always like that? Your nose." And I go, "Nope, been like that since 6th grade." Peter always says I should add, "...and I'm not sensitive about it or anything." Just to make the person feel like a dick.

Some guy today had the nerve of suggesting plastic surgery. To which I replied, "Oh, I already had it." This isn't a lie. The doctor who sewed me up the first time left a huge scar, a good 1/8 inch wide and 1 inch long. Something like that on the bridge of your nose is pretty significant. The second guy who sewed me up left practically nothing, it's just permanently red.

The moral of the story is: don't attract attention to things that are physically different on a person. Because if they aren't like me, and if they're sensitive about it, you could really end up making their day terrible. (I guess that's why I make them feel like a dick, so then maybe next time they won't make the same mistake.)

No comments:

Post a Comment