30 March 2016

#reactionwednesday: Visible Belly Lines

Buzzfeed has a lot of useless stuff on their website. But sometimes they have really great body positive messages and inspiring stories. I love it when Kristin posts articles and videos. She's a pretty smart lady. This past week she posted a video and article chronicling her week wearing outfits that didn't hide her belly.

It's a pretty good read and watch. One point that I really related with was when she said she posed for pictures, she had a go-to pose that she knew looked good. I, too, do this. In all of my wedding photos, I didn't want to be hunched over, so I made sure to stand up straight, stick my chest out, and tilt my head up. I also know to never look at the camera head on, and that a slight turn to the left looks best. Looking at it head on will make my face look rounder and fatter (see left), but if I turn my head slightly, you'll see my jaw-line, and I'll appear slimmer in the face (see right). These pictures were taken less than 1 week apart.

It's amazing how we train ourselves to look good in photos. Photos are something, especially now that social media is so prevalent, that seem to last forever. And now that everyone body has a camera in their pocket nearly all the time, we're taking pictures more often. It makes sense that we want to look good, but why does that matter so much? Shouldn't we enjoy the moment vs. worrying about looking good in the photo? Don't even get me started with taking 1-million selfies before choosing just the right now. It's ridiculous. Does anyone else have a signature pose? Hand on the hip? Do you do the skinny arm? Sorority girl? I'm curious what other girls do, if anything!

I've embedded the video, and I think it's worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment