15 April 2012

Cabane à Sucre, or how I ate 1,000+ calories in one sitting

Yesterday, Julien and I went to Cabane à Sucre (or Sugar Shack) with a bunch of his coworkers. I went into this experience blind, so I expected pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausage links, ham, and loads of maple syrup, all in a buffet, all you can eat, style. What I got was eggs, ham, hotdogs, baked beans, beets, roasted potatoes, fried pig skin (not bacon), and dinner rolls, swimming in maple syrup. Not in a buffet style, but rather the waitress kept bringing us more food if we asked for it.

You paid $20 before eating, meaning you pay $20 before you know what you're going to eat. My kind of breakfast consists of blueberry pancakes, strawberry waffles, english muffins, and bagels. I feel like I paid $20 to eat mini hotdogs swimming in maple syrup...


Everyone else was stuffed, after eating 2 or 3 helpings of everything. I, on the other hand, was still kinda hungry. Unfortunate. Isn't it a golden rule to never leave an all-you-can-eat buffet hungry? Anyway, after the meal we were treated to maple taffy on snow. Which is basically poured maple syrup on ice shavings. You then take a popsicle stick and roll it yourself and eat it like a sucker. The process is pictured above, and the result (as is an extremely attractive picture of me) is pictured to the left.

I roughly kept track of what I shoved into my face. All 1,156 calories. Here is a bulleted list:

  • Hotdogs: about 2.
  • Baked Beans: about 1/4 cup.
  • Ham: about 1/2 thick slice.
  • White dinner roll: 1 1/2 rolls.
  • Whipped butter: 3 tablespoons.
  • Scrambled egg: about 1/2 egg.
  • Maple syrup: about 5 1/2 tablespoons.
  • Black coffee: 1/2 cup.
  • Roasted potatoes: about 1 cup.
  • Small, 3 inch pancake: 1 pancake.
  • Sugar pie: about 1/9 of the pie

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm... tire-sur-neige is one of my favourite treats!

    ReplyDelete