29 April 2012

My first 5K


Today was the big day! My first ever official 5K race around the Gilles-Villeneuve Circuit! (It's a Formula 1 thing).


I couldn't sleep last night, knowing we had to be up and out the door by 7:15 am. The drive there was nerve wracking, as I was nervous for some reason. It's just running, what's to be nervous about? It was pretty cold this morning, about 34 degrees fahrenheit, and all I had was my stupid sweatshirt to keep me warm. It's alright though, once we got  moving, I definitely warmed up.

The run itself wasn't terrible. It's definitely different than running on the treadmill at the gym. I wish I trained more outside, so I'd be ready for wind, sun, and a varying temperature, but I survived nonetheless. I got passed up pretty often, but I tried not to let it get me down. Because I wasn't completely ready for the outside conditions, I couldn't run the entire race. I think I stopped 4 or 5 times, but never for longer than 1/2 a song. I tried though, really I did.

At some point, a blind lady passed me with her guide.

I'm not sure of my super official time, but as I passed the thing it said 35-something. So I guess my time is somewhere between 34 and 36 minutes, which is pretty damn good in my opinion. That averages about 7 minutes per kilometer and about 11 1/2 minutes per mile. I can't complain :)

Julien said the first guy who passed the finish line was at about 15 minutes. I cant imagine, that's SO fast!

So it's done. I can't feel my legs. And for some odd reason I signed up for another one next Sunday, May 6th.

2 comments:

  1. Your running picture reminds me of Ridiculously Photogenic Guy (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ridiculously-photogenic-guy-zeddie-little)... I'd never look that good while running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is my most favorite meme. I couldn't ever be as good looking as him.

      Delete